Project description

The so called Schinkel Hall is one of the oldest surviving buildings on the site of the former Hussar Guard Regiment. It was constructed in 1822-23 by Karl Friedrich Schinkel.

Originally built as a riding hall, the building is a simple form on a rectangular plan with an open gable roof. The wooden roof construction with its 9 beams is fully visible. In the 30s and 40s several modifications were made to the building such as the removal of cross-connections and the enlarging and sealing of window openings depending on the requirements of the particular use. After withdrawal of the Red Army in 1994, the building remained vacant.

The landmarked building was refurbished as part of the development of the Center for Art and Social Culture and is now a location for cultural events.

On the basis of a wood, masonry and historical analysis of the building’s color, plausible solutions were developed and components were sensibly removed and replaced enabling a very beautiful and functional building to be realized in coordination with all of the stakeholders.